(LEFT) The Poughkeepsie Bridge
(sometimes known as the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge, the Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge, the High Bridge, or, since October 3, 2009, the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park
) is a steel cantilever bridge spanning the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie, New York on the east bank and Highland, New York on the west bank. Built as a double track railroad bridge, it was completed on January 1, 1889, and went out of service on May 8, 1974. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, updated in 2008. It was opened to the public on October 3, 2009, as a pedestrian and cyclist bridge and New York State Park
.(RIGHT) The Mid-Hudson Bridge (officially the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Mid-Hudson Bridge)
is a toll suspension bridge which carries US 44 and NY 55 across the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie and Highland in the state of New York. The bridge was renamed the "Franklin D. Roosevelt Mid-Hudson Bridge" in 1994. Its gothic design brought the Mid-Hudson Bridge much praise, described as “superbly beautiful…the span is one of the very finest American suspension bridges,” by Daniel Plowden in his 1974 book Bridges. When it first opened the bridge won recognition as the most beautiful suspension bridge in this part of the country. In 1983, the Mid-Hudson Bridge was honored by the American Society of Civil Engineers as a New York State Civil Engineering Landmark. The bridge is 3,000 feet (910 m) long with a clearance of 135 feet (41 m) above the Hudson. At opening, it was the sixth-longest suspension bridge in the world.